The aim of these awards is to recognize papers published in either Palaeontologyor Papers in Palaeontologyand reward excellence in our field.
- Scientific breadth and impact
- Novelty of approach
- Quality of writing and illustration.
- Open to all authors irrespective of age and nationality; membership of the Association is not required.
- Frontiers Reviews, Rapid Communications and regular research articles are all eligible.
- A list of all papers published in the year to be drawn up in October (when papers for final part are allocated) and circulated around science editors.
- Science editors are asked to nominate any papers that stand out, providing 2–3 sentences explaining why each is deserving.
- Chair of the Editorial Board to draw up shortlist of no more than five papers with supporting statements to circulate to the Editorial Board.
- Editorial Board to select winners by vote.
Corresponding authors of winning papers will be offered ‘Gold open access’ paid for by the Association for one nominated paper submitted to Palaeontology/Papers in Palaeontology within the following 18 months (and subsequently accepted). In the case of joint authorship papers, the corresponding author can, by agreement, transfer the prize to one of the co-authors.
The Chair of the Editorial Board will contact the winning authors and write short synopsis for newsletter. An announcement will also be made at the AGM.
No deadline. Awarded annually for each issued volume of Palaeontology and Papers in Palaeontology.