Article: Commensal anomiid bivalves on Late Cretaceous heteromorph ammonites from south-west Japan
- Bando, Y. and Hashimoto, H. 1984. Biostratigraphy and ammonite fauna of the Izumi Group (Late Cretaceous) in the Asan Mountains. Memoirs of the Faculty of Education, Kagawa University, Part II, 34, 11–39. [In Japanese, English summary].
- Batt, R. J. 1989. Ammonite shell morphotype distributions in the Western Interior Greenhorn Sea and some paleoecological implications. Palaios, 4, 32–42.
- Bouma, A. H. 1962. Sedimentology of some flysch deposits. Elsevier, Amsterdam, 168 pp.
- Breton, G. and Boiné, G. 1993. Cinq Stramentum pulchellum (G.B. Sowerby, 1843), cirripèdes pédonculés fixés sur une ammonite du Cénomanien moyen de Haute‐Normandie (France). Bulletin Trimestriel de la Société Géologique de Normandie et des Amis du Muséum de Havre, 80, 19–25.
- Checa, A., Okamoto, T. and Keupp, H. 2002. Abnormalities as natural experiments: a morphogenetic model for coiling regulation in planispiral ammonites. Paleobiology, 28, 309–319.
- Cope, J. C. W. 1968. Epizoic oysters on Kimmeridgian ammonites. Palaeontology, 11, 19–20.
- Henderson, R. A. and McNamara, K. J. 1985. Taphonomy and ichnology of cephalopod shells in a Maastrichtian chalk from Western Australia. Lethaia, 18, 305–322.
- Higashiura, K. and Okamoto, T. 2012. Life orientation of heteromorph ammonites under the negatively buoyant condition: a case study on the Eubostrychoceras muramotoi Matsumoto. Fossils (Kaseki), 92, 19–30. [In Japanese, English abstract].
- Ichikawa, K. and Maeda, Y. 1958a. Late Cretaceous pelecypods from the Izumi Group, Part I. Cucullaeidae (Pleurogrammatodon, nov., Nanonavis, and Indogrammatodon). Journal of the Institute of Polytechnics, Osaka City University, Series G, 3, 61–79.
- Ichikawa, K. and Maeda, Y. 1958b. Late Cretaceous pelecypods from the Izumi Group, Part II. Orders Taxodontida, Prionodontida, Dysodontida, Desmodontida and Adapedontida. Journal of the Institute of Polytechnics, Osaka City University, Series G, 4, 71–123.
- Ichikawa, K. and Maeda, Y. 1963. Late Cretaceous pelecypods from the Izumi Group, Part III. Order Heterodontida (1). Journal of Geosciences, Osaka City University, 7, 113–145.
- Ifrim, C., Vega, F. J. and Stinnesbeck, W. 2011. Epizoic stramentid cirripedes on ammonites from Late Cretaceous platy limestone in Mexico. Journal of Paleontology, 85, 524–536.
- Kase, T. 1990. Late Cretaceous gastropods from the Izumi Group of southwest Japan. Journal of Paleontology, 64, 563–578.
- Kase, T., Shigeta, Y. and Futakami, M. 1994. Limpet home depressions in Cretaceous ammonites. Lethaia, 27, 49–58.
- Keen, A. M. 1969. Superfamily Anomiacea Rafinesque, 1815. N383–N385. In Moore, R. C. (ed.). Treatise on invertebrate paleontology, Part N. Mollusca 6, Vol. 1. Geological Society of America, Boulder, and University of Kansas Press, Lawrence, Kansas, 489 pp.
- Klinger, H. C. 1981. Speculations on buoyancy control and ecology in some heteromorph ammonites. 337–355. In House, M. R. and Senior, J. R. (eds). The Ammonoidea. Academic Press, London, xiv + 593 pp.
- Klug, C., Korn, D., Richter, U. and Urlichs, M. 2004. The black layer in cephalopods from the German Muschelkalk (Triassic). Palaeontology, 47, 1407–1425.
- Klug, C., Schatz, W., Korn, D. and Reisdorf, A. G. 2005. Morphological fluctuations of ammonoid assemblages from the Muschelkalk (Middle Triassic) of the Germanic Basin – indicators of their ecology, extinctions, and immigrations. Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology, 221, 7–34.
- Larson, N. L. 2007. Deformities in the Late Callovian (Late Middle Jurassic) Ammonite Fauna from Saratov, Russia. 344–374. In Landman, N. H., Davis, R. A. and Mapes, R. H. (eds). Cephalopods present and past: new insights and fresh perspectives. Springer, New York, 481 pp.
- Lien, T., Walker, R. G. and Martinsen, O. J. 2003. Turbidites in the Upper Carboniferous Ross Formation, western Ireland: reconstruction of a channel and spillover system. Sedimentology, 50, 113–148.
- Lowe, D. R. 1982. Sediment gravity flows: II. Depositional models with special reference to the deposits of high‐density turbidity currents. Journal of Sedimentary Petrology, 52, 279–297.
- Lukeneder, A. 2008. The ecological significance of solitary coral and bivalve epibionts on Lower Cretaceous (Valangianian–Aptian) ammonoids from the Italian Dolomites. Acta Geologica Polonica, 58, 425–436.
- Lukeneder, A. and Harzhauser, M. 2003. Olcostephanus guebhardi as cryptic habitat for an Early Cretaceous coelobite community (Valanginian, Northern Calcareous Alps, Austria). Cretaceous Research, 24, 477–485.
- Maeda, H. 1987. Taphonomy of ammonites from the Cretaceous Yezo Group in the Tappu area, northwestern Hokkaido, Japan. Transactions and Proceedings of the Palaeontological Society of Japan, New Series, 148, 285–305.
- Maeda, H. 1991. Sheltered preservation: a peculiar mode of ammonite occurrence in the Cretaceous Yezo Group, Hokkaido, north Japan. Lethaia, 24, 69–82.
- Maeda, H. 1999. Did ammonoid carcasses surface or sink? Memoirs of the Geological Society of Japan, 54, 131–140. [In Japanese, English abstract].
- Maeda, H. and Seilacher, A. 1996. Ammonoid Taphonomy. 543–578. In Landman, N. H., Tanabe, K. and Davis, R. A. (eds). Ammonoid paleobiology. Plenum Press, New York, 857 pp.
- Maeda, H., Kumagae, T., Matsuoka, H. and Yamazaki, Y. 2010. Taphonomy of large Canadoceras (ammonoid) shells in the Upper Cretaceous Series in South Sakhalin, Russia. Paleontological Research, 14, 56–68.
- Matsumoto, T. (ed.) 1954. The Cretaceous System in the Japanese Islands. The Japan Society for the Promotion of Scientific Research, Tokyo, 324 pp.
- Matsumoto, T. 1967. Evolution of the Nostoceratidae (Cretaceous heteromorph ammonoids). Memoirs of the Faculty of Science, Kyushu University, Series D, Geology, 18, 331–347.
- Matsumoto, T., Morozumi, Y., Bando, Y., Hashimoto, H. and Matsuoka, A. 1981. Note on Pravitoceras sigmoidale Yabe (Cretaceous heteromorph ammonite). Transaction and Proceedings of the Palaeontological Society of Japan, New Series, 123, 168–178.
- Matsunaga, T., Maeda, H., Shigeta, Y., Hasegawa, K., Nomura, S., Nishimura, T., Misaki, A. and Tanaka, G. 2008. First discovery of Pravitoceras sigmoidale Yabe from the Yezo Supergroup in Hokkaido, Japan. Paleontological Research, 12, 309–319.
- Meischner, D. 1968. Perniciöse Epökie von Placunopsis auf Ceratites. Lethaia, 1, 156–174.
- Misaki, A. and Maeda, H. 2009. Lithostratigraphy and biostratigraphy of the Campanian–Maastrichtian Toyajo Formation in Wakayama, southwestern Japan. Cretaceous Research, 30, 1398–1414.
- Misaki, A. and Maeda, H. 2010. Two Campanian (Late Cretaceous) nostoceratid ammonoids from the Toyajo Formation in Wakayama, Southwest Japan. 223–231. In Tanabe, K., Shigeta, Y., Sasaki, T. and Hirano, H. (eds). Cephalopods – present and past. Tokai University Press, Tokyo, 314 pp.
- Miyata, T. 1990. Slump strain indicative of paleoslope in Cretaceous Izumi sedimentary basin along Median Tectonic Line, southwest Japan. Geology, 18, 392–394.
- Morozumi, Y. 1985. Late Cretaceous (Campanian and Maastrichtian) ammonites from Awaji Island, southwest Japan. Bulletin of the Osaka Museum of Natural History, 39, 1–58.
- Riccardi, A. C. 1980. Presencia de epizoos en un amonoideo heteromorfo del Maastrichtiano de Argentina: una inferencia paleoautoecológica. Ameghiniana, 17, 11–14.
- Sasai, H. 1936. The Izumi Sandstone Series in Awaji. Journal of Geological Society of Japan, 43, 590–602. [In Japanese].
- Schmid‐Röhl, A. and Röhl, H.‐J. 2003. Overgrowth on ammonite conchs: environmental implications for the Lower Toarcian Posidonia Shale. Palaeontology, 46, 339–352.
- Seilacher, A. 1960. Epizoans as a key to ammonoid ecology. Journal of Paleontology, 34, 189–193.
- Seilacher, A. 1982. Ammonite shells as habitats in the Posidonia Shales of Holzmaden – floats or benthic islands? Neues Jahrbuch für Geologie und Paläontologie, Monatshefte, 1982, 98–114.
- Seilacher, A. and LaBarbera, M. 1995. Ammonites as Cartesian divers. Palaios, 10, 493–506.
- Shigeta, Y., Zakharov, Y. D., Maeda, H. and Popov, A. M. (eds). 2009. The Lower Triassic system in the Abrek bay area, South Primorye, Russia. National Museum of Nature and Science Monographs No. 38, Tokyo, 218 pp.
- Suyari, K. 1973. On the lithofacies and the correlation of the Izumi Group of the Asan Mountain range, Shikoku. Tohoku University, Science Reports, Second Series Geology, Special Volume, 6, 489–495. [In Japanese, English abstract].
- Taira, A., Saito, Y. and Hashimoto, M. 1981. The fundamental processes of geologic evolution of Japan. Kagaku, 51, 508–515. [In Japanese].
- Tanabe, K. 1983. Mode of life of an inoceramid bivalve from the Lower Jurassic of West Japan. Neues Jahrbuch für Geologie und Paläontologie, Monatshefte, 1983, 419–428.
- Tanaka, K. 1965. Izumi Group in the central part of the Izumi Mountain range, southwest Japan, with special reference to the sedimentary facies and cyclic sedimentation. Geological Survey of Japan Report, 212, 1–33. [In Japanese, English abstract].
- Taylor, P. D. and Wilson, M. A. 2003. Palaeoecology and evolution of marine hard substrate communities. Earth‐Science Reviews, 62, 1–103.
- Toshimitsu, S., Matsumoto, T., Noda, M., Nishida, T. and Maiya, S. 1995. Towards an integrated mega‐, micro‐ and magneto‐stratigraphy of the Upper Cretaceous in Japan. Journal of the Geological Society of Japan, 101, 19–29. [In Japanese, English abstract].
- Trueman, A. E. 1941. The ammonite body chamber, with special reference to the buoyancy and mode of life of the living ammonite. Quarterly Journal of the Geological Society of London, 96, 339–383.
- Villamil, T. 1996. Paleobiology of two new species of the bivalve Anomia from Colombia and Venezuela and the importance of the genus in recognition of the base of the Turonian. Cretaceous Research, 17, 607–632.
- Walker, R. G. 1985. Mudstone and thin‐bedded turbidites associated with the Upper Cretaceous Wheeler Gorge conglomerates, California: a possible channel‐levee complex. Journal of Sedimentary Petrology,55, 279–290.
- Walker, R. G. 1992. Turbidites and submarine fans. 239–263. In Walker, R. G. and James, N. P. (eds). Facies models: response to sea level change. Geological Association of Canada, St. Johns, 409 pp.
- Westermann, G. E. G. 1996. Ammonoid life and habit. 607–707. In Landman, N. H., Tanabe, K. and Davis, R. A. (eds). Ammonoid paleobiology. Plenum Press, New York, 857 pp.
- Wignall, P. B. and Simms, M. J. 1990. Pseudoplankton. Palaeontology, 33, 359–378.
- Wilson, M. A., Ozanne, C. R. and Palmer, T. J. 1998. Origin and paleoecology of free‐rolling oyster accumulations (ostreoliths) in the Middle Jurassic of southwestern Utah, USA. Palaios, 13, 70–78.
- Yabe, H. 1901. Note on three Upper Cretaceous ammonites from Japan, outside of Hokkaido. Journal of Geological Society of Tokyo, 8, 1–4.
- Yabe, H. 1902. Note on three Upper Cretaceous ammonites from Japan, outside of Hokkaido (continued). Journal of Geological Society of Tokyo, 9, 1–7.
- Yabe, H. 1915. Notes on Some Cretaceous fossils from Anaga on the island of Awaji and Toyajo in the province of Kii. Science Reports of Tohoku Imperial University, Second Series, 4, 13–24.
- Yamaguchi, K. 1998. Cementation vs mobility: development of a cemented byssus and flexible mobility in Anomia chinensis. Marine Biology, 132, 651–661.
- Yamakita, S. and Otoh, S. 2000. Estimation of the amount of Late Cretaceous left‐lateral strike‐slip displacement along the Median Tectonic Line and its implications in the juxtaposition of some geologic belts of southwest Japan. Association for the Geological Collaboration in Japan, Monograph, 49, 49–104. [In Japanese, English abstract].
- Yamasaki, T. 1987. Radiolarian assemblages of the Izumi Group in Shikoku and western Awaji Island, Southwest Japan. Journal of Geological Society of Japan, 93, 403–417. [In Japanese, English abstract].