Article: The limited value of traditional morphometric features in stromatoporoid taxonomy
- Anstey, R. L. and Bartley, J. W. 1984. Quantitative stereology: an improved thin section biometry bryozoans and other colonial organisms. Journal of Paleontology, 58, 612–625.
- Baddeley, A. J., Gundersen, H. J. G. and Cruz-Orive, L. M. 1986. Estimation of surface area from vertical sections. Journal of Microscopy, 142, 259–276.
- Brande, S. and Bretsky, S. S. 1982. Avoid improper statistical analysis in bryozoans: analysis of variance is suitable for study of hierarchical variation. Journal of Paleontology, 56, 1207–1212.
- Cheetham, A. H., Jackson, J. B. C. and Hayek, L. A. C. 1993. Quantitative genetics of bryozoan phenotypic evolution. I. Rate tests for random change versus selection in differentiation of living species. Evolution, 47, 1526–1538.
- Cheetham, A. H., Jackson, J. B. C. and Hayek, L. A. C. 1994. Quantitative genetics of bryozoan phenotypic evolution. II. Analysis of selection and random change in fossil species using reconstructed genetic parameters. Evolution, 48, 360–375.
- Cheetham, A. H., Jackson, J. B. C. and Hayek, L. A. C. 1995. Quantitative genetics of bryozoan phenotypic evolution. III. Phenotypic plasticity and the maintenance of genetic variation. Evolution, 49, 290–296.
- Cockbain, A. E. 1978. Intracoenosteal variation in a specimen of Actinostroma. Geological Survey of Western Australia, Annual Report 1978, 87–89.
- Crow, J. F. 1986. Basic concepts in population, quantitative, and evolutionary genetics. W. H. Freeman and Company, New York, 273 pp.
- Da Silva, A.-C., Kershaw, S. and Boulvain, F. 2011. Sedimentology and stromatoporoid palaeoecology of Frasnian (Upper Devonian) carbonate mounds in southern Belgium. Lethaia, 44, 255–274.
- Fagerstrom, J. A. 1982. Stromatoporoids of the Detroit River Group and adjacent rocks (Devonian) in the vicinity of the Michigan Basin. Geological Survey of Canada Bulletin, 339, 1–81.
- Fagerstrom, J. A. and Saxena, K. M. 1973. Intracoenosteal variation in a Devonian stromatoporoid. Lethaia, 6, 155–162.
- Farmer, J. D. and Rowell, A. J. 1973. Variation in the bryozoan Fistulipora decora (Moore and Dudley) from the Beil Limestone of Kansas. 377–394. In Boardman, R. S., Cheetham, A. S. and Oliver, W. A. Jr (eds). Animal colonies: development and function through time. Dowden, Hutchison and Ross, Inc., Stroudsburg, PA, 603 pp.
- Gower, J. C. 1971. A general coefficient of similarity and some of its properties. Biometrics, 27, 857–874.
- Gundersen, H. J. G., Bendtsen, T. F., Korbo, L., Marcussen, N., Møller, A., Nielsen, K., Nyengaard, J. R., Pakkenberg, B., Sørensen, F. B., Vesterby, A. and West, M. J. 1988. Some new, simple and efficient stereological methods and their use in pathological research and diagnosis. Acta Pathologica, Microbiologica et Immunologica Scandinavica, 96, 379–394.
- Hageman, S. J. and Sawyer, J. A. 2006. Phenotypic variation in the bryozoan Leioclema punctatum (Hall, 1858) from Missisipian ephemeral host microcommunities. Journal of Paleontology, 80, 1047–1057.
- Hageman, S. J., Bayer, M. M. and Todd, C. D. 1999. Partitioning phenotypic variation: genotypic, environmental and residual components from bryozoan skeletal morphology. Journal of Natural History, 33, 1713–1735.
- Haralick, R. M., Shanmugam, K. and Dinstein, I. 1973. Texture parameters for image classification. IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man and Cybernetics, 3, 610–621.
- Hartigan, J. A. and Wong, M. A. 1979. A k-means clustering algorithm. Applied Statistics, 28, 100–108.
- Kaufman, L. and Rousseeuw, P. J. 1990. Finding groups in data: an introduction to cluster analysis. Wiley, New York, 368 pp.
- Kershaw, S. 1998. The applications of stromatoporoid palaeobiology in palaeoenvironmental analysis. Palaeontology, 41, 509–544.
- Key, M. M. Jr 1985. Environmental stability and morphologic variation in the bryozoan Homotrypa obliqua. Geological Society of America, Abstracts with Programs, 17, 628.
- Laird, N. M. and Ware, J. H. 1982. Random-effects models for longitudinal data. Biometrics, 38, 963–974.
- Laliberté, E. and Legendre, P. 2010. A distance-based framework for measuring functional diversity from multiple traits. Ecology, 91, 299–305.
- Langford, M., Taylor, G. E. and Flenley, J. R. 1990. Computerized identification of pollen grains by texture analysis. Review of Palaeobotany and Palynology, 64, 197–203.
- Lessells, C. M. and Boag, P. T. 1987. Unrepeatable repeatabilities: a common mistake. The Auk, 104, 116–121.
- Pachut, J. F. 1982. Morphologic variation within and among genotypes in two Devonian bryozoan species: an independent indicator of paleostability? Journal of Paleontology, 56, 703–716.
- Pachut, J. F. 1987. Population genetics of four species of Ordovician bryozoans: stereology and jackknifed analysis of variance. Journal of Paleontology, 61, 927–941.
- Pachut, J. F. 1989. Heritability and intraspecific heterochrony in Ordovician bryozoans from environments differing in diversity. Journal of Paleontology, 63, 182–194.
- Pachut, J. F. and Anstey, R. L. 2002. Phylogeny, systematics, and biostratigraphy of the Ordovician bryozoan genus Perenopora. Journal of Paleontology, 76, 607–637.
- Palmer, A. R. 1986. Inferring relative levels of genetic variability in fossils: the link between heterozygosity and fluctuating asymmetry. Paleobiology, 12, 1–5.
- Paszkowski, M. 1995. Krakow region. 23–28. In Dvorak, J. (ed.). Evolution of the Polish-Moravian carbonate platform in the late Devonian and early Carboniferous: Holy Cross Mts., Krakow Upland, Moravian Karst. XIII International Congress on Carboniferous–Permian. Krakow, Poland. Guide to Excursion B4. Panstwowy Instytut Geologiczny, Warsaw, 35 pp.
- Pinheiro, J. C. and Bates, D. M. 2000. Mixed-effects models in S and S-PLUS. Springer Verlag, New York, 528 pp.
- R Development Core Team. 2009. R: A language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria. ISBN 3-900051-07-0. http://www.R-project.org.
- Russ, J. C. 1986. Practical stereology. Plenum Press, New York, 382 pp.
- Schopf, T. J. M. 1976. Environmental versus genetic causes of morphologic variability in bryozoan colonies from the deep sea. Paleobiology, 2, 156–165.
- Stock, C. W. 2001. Stromatoporoidea, 1926–2000. Journal of Paleontology, 75, 1079–1089.
- Stock, C. W. and Burry-Stock, J. A. 1998. Differentiating between two closely related species of stromatoporoids; a canonical discriminant analysis. Geological Society of America, Abstracts with Programs, 30, 264.
- Stock, C. W. and Burry-Stock, J. A. 2001. A multivariate analysis of two contemporaneous species of the stromatoporoid Habrostroma from the Lower Devonian of New York, USA. Bulletin of the Tohoku University Museum, 1, 274–279.
- Swan, A. R. H. and Sandilands, M. 1995. Introduction to geological data analysis. Blackwell Science, Oxford, 446 pp.
- Wolniewicz, P. 2009. Late Famennian stromatoporoids from Dębnik Anticline, southern Poland. Acta Palaeontologica Polonica, 54, 337–350.
- Wolniewicz, P. 2010. Stromatoporoid biometrics using image analysis software: a first order approach. Computers and Geosciences, 36, 550–558.