Article: A new species of Stegodon (Mammalia, Proboscidea) from the Kazusa Group (lower Pleistocene), Hachioji City, Tokyo, Japan and its evolutionary morphodynamics
- AIBA, H., BABA, K. and MATSUKAWA, M. 2006. Stegodon miensis from the Pliocene Yaoroshi Formation, Tokyo. Japan Bulletin of Tokyo Gakugei University, Series 4, 58, 1–4.
- BABA, K., MATSUKAWA, M., KOARAI, K., HAYASHI, K., OKUBO, A. and ITO, M. 2000. Let’s reanimate ancient animals based on elephant tracks for possible teaching development. Education of Earth Science (Journal of the Japan Society of Earth Science Education), 53, 269–281. [In Japanese].
- BABA, K., MATSUKAWA, M. and OHIRA, H. 2003. Fission-track age of the Oyamada Formation of the Kazusa Group, Tokyo. In BABA, K. and MATSUKAVA, M. (eds). Development of teaching materials for field work in school education and life long learning based on the Pleistocene Kazusa Group along the Tama River and the Sayama Hill. Study report of the Tokyu Kankyo-jyoka zaidan Fund, 24, 1–282. [In Japanese].
- BABA, K., OHIRA, H., AIBA, H. and MATSUKAWA, M. 2005. The stratigraphic level of the specimen of Stegodon miensis (Proboscidea, Mammalia) in Akiruno city, Tokyo and its fission-track age. Bulletin of Tokyo Gakugei University, Series 4, 57, 185–193. [In Japanese with English abstract].
- CAIN, A. J. and CURREY, J. D. 1963. Area effects in Cedpaea. Philosophical Transactions of Royal Society of London (B), 246, 1–81.
- CHINZEI, K. 1986. Faunal succession and geographic distribution of Neogene molluscan faunas in Japan. Palaeontological Society of Japan, Special Paper, 29, 17–32.
- ENDO, J. 1983. Fossil Metasequoia from the western Kanto district. Bulletin of the Japan Private School Educational Research, 19, 33–456. [In Japanese].
- FALCONER, H. and CAUTLEY, P. T. 1847. Fauna Antiqua Sivalensis, being the fossil zoology of the Sewalik Hills, in the north of India. Smith, Elder, London (plts only). (Editors’ note: range of years is from 1845 to 1849 (Osborn 1936, p. 774). Part I was published in 1845, Part II in 1846, Parts Ill–VIII in 1847, Part IX in 1849 (Maglio 1973, p. 122) (12A, 15, 23, ApA, ApC).
- FOSSIL ELEPHANT RESEARCH GROUP 1973. Stegodon aurorae from Maruko-machi, Chiisagata-gun, Nagano Prefecture. Journal of the Faculty of Science, Shinshu University, 8, 65–79.
- FOSSIL ELEPHANT RESEARCH GROUP 1979. New species of Stegolophodon found from the Shigarami formation, northern part of Nagano prefecture, central Japan. Earth Science (Chikyu Kagaku), 33, 11–25.
- GEOLOGY DIVISION OF THE GEOLOGICAL SURVEY OF JAPAN 1958. Discovery of fossil elephant tooth. Chishitsu News, 45, 2. [In Japanese].
- GRAY, J. E. 1821. On the natural arrangement of vertebrose animals. The London Medical Repository Monthly Journal and Review, 15, 296–310.
- HASEGAWA, Y. 1979. Fossil teeth of Proboscidea. Report of Hachioji Kyodoshiryokan, 6, 46. [In Japanese].
- HASEGAWA, Y., KOIZUMI, A., MATSUSHITA, Y., IMANAGA, I. and HIRATA, D. 1991. Fossil remains from the Nakatsu Group. Research Report of the Kanagawa Museum, 6, 1–98. [In Japanese].
- HORIGUCHI, M., MISHIMA, H. and YOSHIDA, K. 1978. Stegodon aurorae from the Sasai, Sayama City, Saitama Prefecture. Earth Science (Chikyu Kagaku), 32, 38–40. [In Japanese].
- IKI GEOLOGICAL RESEARCH GROUP 1973. Geology and fossils of the Iki Islands –Tertiary stratigraphy, proboscidean fossils, pisces fossils. Bulletin of Japan Sea Research Institute, Kanazawa University, 5, 89–114. [In Japanese with English abstract].
- INUZUKA, N., SAWAMURA, H. and FUJII, K. 1991. Study report of incisors of Stegodon aurorae from river bank of Tamagawa River in Hino City, Tokyo. Bulletin of the Hino Furusato Museum, 1, 1–18. [In Japanese].
- ITO, H., TANIGUCHI, T., SHINOHARA, K. and ETO, T. 2002. Fission-track ages of the early Pleistocene tephras in the Kazusa Group in Tama Hills, central Japan. The Quaternary Research, 41, 421–426. [In Japanese with English abstract].
- ITSUKAICHI STEGODON RESEARCH GROUP 1980. On Stegodons fossils from Itsukaichi, Nishitama-gun, Tokyo. Bunkazai no Hogo, 12, 6–9. [In Japanese].
- KALB, J. E., FROEHLICH, D. J. and BELL, G., 1996. Phylogeny of African and Eurasian Elephantoidea of the late Neogene. 101–116. In SHOSHANI, J. and TASSEY, P. (eds.). In the Proboscidea. Evolution and palaeoecology of elephants and their relatives. Oxford University Press, Oxford, 472 pp.
- KIMURA, T., OHANA, T. and YOSHIYAMA, H. 1981. Fossil plants from the Tama and Azuyama hills, Southern Kwanto Japan. Transactions and Proceedings of the Palaeontological Society of Japan, New Series, 122, 87–104.
- KONISHI, S. and TAKAHASHI, K. 1999. Mandibular morphology of stegodons from Japan, Stegodon aurorae and Stegodon shinshuensis (Proboscidea, Mammalia). Earth Science (Chikyu Kagaku), 53, 3–18.
- KONISHI, S. and YOSHIKAWA, S. 1999. Immigration times of the two proboscidean species, Stegodon orientalis and Palaeoloxodon naumanni, into the Japanese Islands and the formation of land bridge. Earth Science (Chikyu Kagaku), 53, 125–134. [In Japanese with English abstract].
- MACHIDA, H. and ARAI, F. 2003. Atlas of tephra in and around Japan. University Tokyo Press, Tokyo, 336 pp.
- MAKIYAMA, J. 1938. Japonic Proboscidea. Memoirs of the College of Science, Kyoto Imperial University, Series B, 14, 1–59.
- MAMMAL RESEACH GROUP OF THE UONUMA HILLS COLLABORATIVE RESEARCH GROUP 1983. Vertebrate Fossils from the Uonuma region in Niigata Prefecture, central Japan. Chidanken Senpo, Monograph, 26, 67–72. [In Japanese with English abstract].
- MATSUKAWA, M., BABA, K., FUJII, E., MIYASHITA, O., AIBA, H. and TSUBOUCHI, H. 1991. Sedimentary environments of the Pleistocene Kazusa Group, along the Tamagawa River, Tokyo and geological teaching developments on the basis of their analysis. Tamagawa Kankyo-chosa jyoseisyu, 13, 1–271. [In Japanese with English abstract].
- MATSUKAWA, M., BABA, K., AIBA, H., AONO, H., KOARAI, K. and ITO, M. 2002. Field guide of the Kazusa Group on river bank of the Tamagawa River, Tokyo. Field guide book of the 2002 Autumn Meeting of the Sedimentological Society of Japan. Kokusai-bunken, Co., Tokyo, 19 pp. [In Japanese].
- MATSUKAWA, M., KAKINUMA, H., BABA, K. and OHIRA, H. 2006. Stratigraphy and correlation of Plio-Pleistocene strata in marginal area of the Kwanto plain. Bulletin of Tokyo Gakugei University, Series 4, 58, 173–202. [In Japanese with English abstract].
- MATSUMOTO, H. 1918. On a new archetypal fossil elephant from Mt. Tomuro, Kaga. Science Report of the Tohoku Imperial University, 2nd Series (Geology), 3, 51–56.
- MATSUMOTO, H. 1924. Preliminary note on stegodonts in Japanese Islands. Journal of the Geological Society of Japan, 31, 323–340. [In Japanese].
- MATSUMOTO, H. 1941. On Japanese Stegodonts and Parastegodonts. Zoological Magazine, 53, 85–396. [In Japanese with English abstract].
- MISHIMA, H. and MIYAZAKI, S. 1985. A fossil molar tooth of Stegodon orientalis of the collection of the Musashino Museum, Tokyo Metropolis. Fossil study Group Special Edition, 2, 15–19. [In Japanese with English abstract].
- NAGASAWA, J. 1968. On the Parastegodon obtained from Kanagawa Prefecture and a part of fossil elephant. Bulletin of Tokyo Gakugei University, Series 4, 19, 186–195.
- NAORA, N. 1954. Study of the old stone age of Japan. Neiraku-syobou, Tokyo, 297 pp. [In Japanese].
- NARAHARA PLANTBED RESEARCH GROUP 1967. Preliminary notes on the Neogene gymnospermous erect stumps and associated flora at the river-bed of Kita-Asakawa, Hachioji City, Tokyo. Journal of the Geological Society of Japan, 73, 441–442. [In Japanese].
- NODA, K. and OKUMURA, K. 2002. Tephrostratigraphy of the Sioda Formation of the Nakatsu Group along the Sagami River and Fission Track Age of Sd100 Tephra. The Ouaternary Research, 41, 131–139. [In Japanese with English abstract].
- OGASAWARA, K. 1986. Notes on origin and migration of the Omma-Manganzian fauna, Japan. Palaeontological Society of Japan, Special Paper, 29, 227–244.
- RESEARCH GROUP FOR FOSSILS TRACKS OF THE IRUMAGAWA RIVER 1995. Fossil tracks of Akebonozou (Stegodon aurorae). Iruma City Museum, Iruma, 102 pp. [In Japanese].
- RESEARCH GROUP FOR GEOLOGY OF THE WESTERN HILLS OF THE KANTO PLAIN 1995. Geology of the Western Hills of the Kanto Plain, Central Japan(1)-Stratigraphy, structure and geological age of Kasumi Hill. Earth Science(Chikyu Kagaku), 49, 391–405. [In Japanese with English abstract].
- SAEGUSA, H. 1987. Cranial morphology and phylogeny of the stegodons. Compass, 64, 221–243.
- SAEGUSA, H. 1996. Stegodontidae: evolutionary relationships. 178–190. In SHOSHANI, J. and TASSY, P. (eds). The proboscidea. Oxford University Press, Oxford, 472 pp.
- SAEGUSA, H., THASOD, Y. and RATANASTHIEN, B. 2005. Notes on Asian stegodontids. Quaternary International, 126–128, 31–48.
- SHIKAMA, T. 1937. Parastegodon infrequens sp. nov. from the Akashi district. Japanese Journal of Geology and Geography, 14, 127–131.
- SHIKAMA, T. 1949. The Kuzuu Ossuaries. Science Report of the Tohoku Imperial University, 2nd Series (Geology), 23, 1–201.
- SHIKAMA, T. 1963. Note on a Stegodon tooth from Sendai. Science Report of the Yokohama National University, 10, 67–69.
- TAKAI, F. 1936. On a new fossil elephant from Okubo-mura Akashi-gun, Hyogo Prefecture, Japan. Proceedings of the Imperial Academy Japan, 12, 19–21.
- TAKAI, F. 1940. On two teeth of Elephants found in Niigata Prefecture. Journal of Geological Society of Japan, 45, 339–342. [In Japanese].
- TAKANO, S. 1994. Stratigraphy of the Lower Pleistocene Kazusa Group in the Tama Hills, central Japan. Journal of the Geological Society of Japan, 100, 675–691. [In Japanese with English abstract].
- TAMAGAWA FOSSIL TRACKS RESEARCH GROUP 2001. Discovery of fossil track assemblage from the Oyabe Formation of the Kazusa Group on river bank of Kitasakawa River, Tokyo. Abstract of the Meeting of Chigakudantai Kenkyukai (the Association for the Geological Collaboration in Japan), 55, 198–201. [In Japanese].
- TARU, H. 1996. Isolated scapula and humerus of Stegodon sp. from the early Pleistocene of Hirayama Formation in Akishima City, Tokyo. Bulletin of Kanagawa Prectural Museum (Natural Science), 25, 59–70. [In Japanese with English abstract].
- TARU, H. 2005. The two teeth of intermediate form between Stegodon miensis and Stegodon aurorae from Fussa, Tokyo, Japan. Journal of Fossil Research, 38, 98–107. [In Japanese with English abstract].
- TARU, H. and HASEGAWA, Y. 2002. The Plio-Pleistocene fossil mammals from the Kasumi and Tama Hills. Memoirs of the National Science Museum, Tokyo, 38, 43–56. [In Japanese with English abstract].
- TARU, H. and KOHNO, N. 2002. Re-description and identification of Stegodon’s tooth from Akiruno-shi, Tokyo, with a reference to the specific name of the Large Type Stegodon from Pliocene of Japan. Memoirs of the National Science Museum, Tokyo, 38, 33–41. [In Japanese with English abstract].
- TARUNO, H. 1991a. Stegodon fossils from Japan. 82–89. In KAMEI, T. (ed.). Japanese Proboscidean fossils. Tsukiji Shokan Co, Tokyo, 273 pp. [In Japanese].
- TARUNO, H. 1991b. Systematic revision of genus ‘Parastegodon’ from the Japanese Islands (Mammalia: Proboscidea). Bulletin of the Osaka Museum of Natural History, 45, 5–16. [In Japanese with English abstract].
- TARUNO, H. 1999. The stratigraphic position of proboscidean fossils from the Pliocene and lower to middle Pleistocene formations of Japanese Islands. Earth Science (Chikyu Kagaku), 53, 258–264. [In Japanese with English abstract ].
- TARUNO, H. and KAMEI, T. 1993. Mammalian fossils of the Pliocene and Pleistocene in the Kinki District. 216–231. In ITIHARA, M. (ed.). The Osaka Group. Sogen-sha Co, Osaka, 340 pp. [In Japanese].
- TARUNO, H. and YOSHIDA, S. 1987. Discovery of a fossil of Stegodon akashiensis (Takai) from the Tokai Group in Gifu Prefecture, Japan (Mammalia : Proboscidea). Bulletin of the Osaka Museum of Natural History, 41, 1–5. [In Japanese].
- TIEDEMANN, R., SAMTHEIN, M. and SHACKLETON, N. J. 1994. Astronomic timescale for the Pliocene Atlantic Δ18O and dust flux records of Ocean Drilling Program site 659. Paleoceanography, 9, 619–638.
- TOGAKUSHI FOSSIL MUSEUM 1993. The record of the excavation of Stegodon shinshuensis. Togakushi Fossil Museum, Togakushi, 34 pp. [In Japanese].
- TOKUNAGA, S. 1934. Fossil Elephant teeth found at Kakio, Kanagawa Prefecture. Journal of Geography, 46, 363–371. [In Japanese].
- TOKUNAGA, S. 1936. A new fossil elephant found in Shikoku, Japan. Proceedings of the Imperial Academy of Japan, 11, 432–434.
- YASUI, S., KOBAYASHI, I. and TATEISHI, M. 1983. Stratigraphy of the Uonuma Formation in the Hachikoku Oil Field and the southern part of Chuo Oil Field, Niigata Prefecture, central Japan. Earth Science (Chikyu Kagaku), 37, 22–37. [In Japanese with English abstract].