Article: Charge contrast imaging of exceptionally-preserved fossils
- ALLISON, P. A. 1988. Phosphatized soft-bodied squids from the Jurassic Oxford Clay. Lethaia, 21, 403–410.
- ALLISON, P. A. and BRIGGS, D. E. G. 1991. The taphonomy of soft-bodied animals. 120–140. In DONOVAN, S. K. (ed.). The processes of fossilization. Belhaven Press, London, 303 pp.
- BENTON, M. J., ZHOU, Z., ORR, P. J., ZHANG, F. and KEARNS, S. L. 2008. The remarkable fossils from the Early Cretaceous Jehol Biota of China and how they have changed our knowledge. Proceedings of the Geologists’ Association, 119, 209–228.
- BUTTERFIELD, N. J. 1990. Organic preservation of non-mineralizing organisms and the taphonomy of the Burgess Shale. Paleobiology, 16, 272–286.
- BUTTERFIELD, N. J. 2002. Perimineralization vs. compression: disparate modes of exceptional preservation in the Burgess Shale and their palaeobiological significance. 241–246. In DERENZI, M., PARDO ALONSO, M. V., BELINCHÓN, M., PEÑALVER, E., MONTOYA, P. and MÁRQUEZ-ALIAGA, A. (eds). Current topics on taphonomy and fossilization. Ajuntament de Valencia, Valencia, 544 pp.
- BUTTERFIELD, N. J., BALTHASAR, U. and WILSON, L. A. 2007. Fossil diagenesis in the Burgess Shale. Palaeontology, 50, 537–543.
- CAZAUX, J. 1999. Some considerations on the secondary electron emission, δ, from electron irradiated insulators. Journal of Applied Physics, 85, 1137–1147.
- CUTHBERT, S. J. and BUCKMAN, J. O. 2005. Charge contrast imaging of fine-scale microstructure and compositional variation in garnet using the environmental scanning electron microscope. American Mineralogist, 90, 701–707.
- DANILATOS, G. D. 1991. Review and outline of environmental SEM at present. Journal of Microscopy, 162, 391–402.
- DOEHNE, E. 1998. Charge contrast: some ESEM observations of a new/old phenomena. Microscopy and Microanalysis 1997, 4 (Suppl. 2), 292–293.
- FARLEY, A. N. and SHAH, J. S. 1990. Primary considerations for image enhancement in high pressure scanning electron microscopy. Journal of Microscopy, 158, 389–401.
- FARLEY, A. N. and SHAH, J. S. 1991. High-pressure scanning electron microscopy of insulating materials: a new approach. Journal of Microscopy, 164, 107–126.
- FINNIE, P., KAMINSKA, K., HOMMA, Y., AUSTING, D. G. and LEFEBVRE, J. 2008. Charge contrast imaging of suspended nanotubes by scanning electron microscopy. Nanotechnology, 19, 335202 (6 pp). doi: DOI: 10.1088/0957-4484/19/33/335202.
- GOLDSTEIN, J. I., NEWBURY, D. E., ECHLIN, P., JOY, D. C., ROMIG, A. D. Jr, LYMAN, C. E., FIORI, C. and LIFSHIN, E. 1992. Scanning electron microscopy and x-ray microanalysis: a text for biologists, material scientists, and geologists, 2nd edn. Plenum Press, New York, 818 pp.
- GRIFFIN, B. J. 1997. A new mechanism for the imaging of crystal structure in non conductive materials: an application of charge-induced contrast in the environmental scanning electron microscope (ESEM). Microscopy and Microanalysis, 3 (Suppl. S2), 1197–1198.
- GRIFFIN, B. J. 1998. Electrons, ions and cathodoluminescence in the environmental SEM. Microscopy and Microanalysis, 4 (Suppl. S2), 290–291.
- GRIFFIN, B. J. 2007. Variable pressure and environmental scanning electron microscopy: imaging of biological samples. 467–495. In KUO, J. (ed.). Electron microscopy. Methods and protocols. Humana Press, Iotowa, NJ, 608 pp.
- KOSHIKAWA, T. and SHIMIZU, R. 1974. A Monte Carlo calculation of low-energy secondary electron emission from metals. Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics, 7, 1303–1315.
- MONCRIEFF, D. A., BARKER, P. R. and ROBINSON, V. N. E. 1979. Electron scattering by gas in the scanning electron microscope. Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics, 12, 481–488.
- NEWBURY, D. E. 2004. Assessing charging effects on spectral quality for X-ray microanalysis in low voltage and variable pressure/environmental scanning electron microscopy. Microscopy and Microanalysis, 10, 739–744.
- ORR, P. J., BRIGGS, D. E. G. and KEARNS, S. L. 1998. Cambrian Burgess Shale animals replicated in clay minerals. Science, 281, 1173–1175.
- ORR, P. J., KEARNS, S. L. and BRIGGS, D. E. G. 2002. Backscattered electron imaging of fossils exceptionally preserved as organic compressions. Palaios, 17, 110–117.
- ORR, P. J., KEARNS, S. L. and BRIGGS, D. E. G. 2009. Elemental mapping of exceptionally preserved ‘carbonaceous compression’ fossils. Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology, 277, 1–8.
- ROBERTSON, K., GAUVIN, R. and FINCH, J. 2004. Charge contrast imaging of gibbsite using the variable pressure SEM. Microscopy and Microanalysis, 10, 721–732.
- ROBERTSON, K., GAUVIN, R. and FINCH, J. 2005. Application of charge contrast imaging in mineral characterization. Minerals Engineering, 18, 343–352.
- STOKES, D. J., THIEL, B. L. and DONALD, A. M. 2000. Dynamic secondary electron contrast effects in liquid systems studied by environmental scanning electron microscopy. Scanning, 22, 357–365.
- THIEL, B. L. and TOTH, M. 2005. Secondary electron contrast in low-vacuum/environmental scanning electron microscopy of dieletrics. Journal of Applied Physics, 97, 1–18.
- THIEL, B. L., TOTH, M. and CRAVEN, J. P. 2004. Charging processes in low vacuum scanning electron microscopy. Microscopy and Microanalysis, 10, 711–720.
- THIEL, B. L., BACHE, I. C., FLETCHER, A. L., MEREDITH, P. and DONALD, A. M. 1997. An improved model for gaseous amplification in the environmental SEM. Journal of Microscopy, 187, 143–157.
- TOTH, M., THIEL, B. L. and DONALD, A. M. 2003. Interpretation of secondary electron images obtained using a low vacuum SEM. Ultramicroscopy, 94, 71–87.
- WATT, G. R., GRIFFIN, B. J. and KINNY, P. D. 2000. Charge contrast imaging of geological materials in the environmental scanning electron microscope. American Mineralogist, 85, 1784–1794.
- ZHOU, Z., BARRETT, P. M. and HILTON, J. 2003. An exceptionally preserved lower cretaceous ecosystem. Nature, 421, 807–814.