Article: Magnesium-rich intralensar structures in schizochroal trilobite eyes
- BRUTON, D. L. and HAAS, W. 2003. The puzzling eye of Phacops. Special Papers in Palaeontology, 70, 349–361.
- CAMPBELL, K. S. W. 1975. The functional anatomy of trilobites: musculature and eyes. Journal and Proceedings of the Royal Society of New South Wales, 108, 168–188.
- CLARKSON, E. N. K. and LEVI-SETTI, R. 1975. Trilobite eyes and the optics of Des Cartes and Huygens. Nature, 254, 663–667.
- CLARKSON, E. N. K., LEVI-SETTI, R. and HORVÁTH, G. 2006. The eyes of trilobites: the oldest preserved visual system. Arthropod Structure and Development, 35, 247–259.
- CUTHBERT, S. J. and BUCKMAN, J. O. 2005. Charge contrast imaging of fine-scale microstructure and compositional variation in garnet using the environmental scanning electron microscope. American Mineralogist, 90, 701–707.
- DALBECK, P., ENGLAND, J., CUSACK, M., LEE, M. R. and FALLICK, A. E. 2006. Crystallography and minor element composition of the calcite–aragonite interface in Mytilus edulis. European Journal of Mineralogy, 18, 601–609.
- DICKSON, J. A. D. 2001. Diagenesis and crystal caskets: echinoderm Mg calcite transformation, Dry Canyon, New Mexico, USA. Journal of Sedimentary Research, 71, 764–777.
- DICKSON, J. A. D. 2002. Fossil echinoderms as monitor of the Mg/Ca ratio of Phanerozoic oceans. Science, 298, 1222–1224.
- DICKSON, J. A. D. 2004. Echinoderm skeletal preservation: calcite-aragonite seas and the Mg/Ca ratio of Phanerozoic oceans. Journal of Sedimentary Research, 74, 355–365.
- FORTEY, R. A. and CHATTERTON, B. D. E. 2003. A Devonian trilobite with an eyeshade. Science, 310, 1689.
- HORVÁTH, G. 1989. Geometric optics of trilobite eyes: a theoretical study of the aspherical interface in the cornea of schizochroal eyes of phacopid trilobites. Mathematical Biosciences, 96, 79–94.
- HORVÁTH, G., CLARKSON, E. N. K. and PIX, W. 1997. Survey of modern counterparts of schizochroal trilobite eyes: structural and functional similarities and differences. Historical Biology, 12, 229–263.
- LEE, M. R., PARSONS, I., EDWARDS, P. R. and MARTIN, R. W. 2007. Identification of cathodoluminescence activators in zoned alkali feldspars by hyperspectral imaging and electron probe microanalysis. American Mineralogist, 92, 243–253.
- LEVI-SETTI, R. 1993. Trilobites. Second edition. University of Chicago Press, Chicago, IL, and London, 342 pp.
- LOHMANN, K. C. and MEYERS, W. J. 1977. Microdolomite inclusions in cloudy prismatic calcites: a proposed criterion for former high magnesian calcites. Journal of Sedimentary Petrology, 47, 1078–1088.
- MILLER, J. and CLARKSON, E. N. K. 1980. The post-ecdysial development of the cuticle and the eye of the Devonian trilobite Phacops rana milleri Stewart 1927. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London, Series B, 288, 461–480.
- PUTNIS, A. 2002. Mineral replacement reactions: from macroscopic observations to microscopic mechanisms. Mineralogical Magazine, 66, 689–708.
- RICHTER, D. K. and FÜCHTBAUER, H. 1978. Ferroan calcite replacement indicates former magnesian calcite skeletons. Sedimentology, 25, 843–860.
- TAYLOR, P. D. and WILSON, M. A. 1999. Dianulites Eichwald, 1829: an unusual Ordovician bryozoan with a high-magnesium calcite skeleton. Journal of Paleontology, 73, 38–48.
- TOWE, K. M. 1973. Trilobite eyes: calcified lenses in vivo. Science, 179, 1007–1009.
- WATT, G. R., GRIFFIN, B. J. and KINNY, P. D. 2000. Charge contrast imaging of geological materials in the environmental scanning electron microscope. American Mineralogist, 85, 1784–1794.
- WILMOT, N. V. and FALLICK, A. E. 1989. Original mineralogy of trilobite exoskeletons. Palaeontology, 32, 297–304.