Getting to Leicester
Car: Leicester is easily reached by road (just off the M1) though parking is fairly limited in the city centre and very limited on campus. Car parks and on-street parking are available nearby. The University postcode is LE1 7RH on University Road. Leicester also operates a Park and Ride scheme.
Coach/Bus: national coach services connect Leicester to most UK cities and airports. Coaches arrive at St Margaret’s Bus Station (city centre), approximately a 30 minute walk from the University. See below for information on travelling within Leicester.
Rail: Leicester is on the London/Sheffield and Birmingham/Stansted lines. Connections from other lines are commonly via Derby, Chesterfield, Sheffield or Birmingham. Approximate journey times and frequencies are:
- 70-90 minutes/four times an hour from London St Pancras International station,
- 60 minutes/twice an hour from Birmingham New Street station,
- 60 minutes/once an hour from Luton Airport Parkway station, and
- 2 hours 30 minutes/approximately once an hour from Stansted Airport.
The Railway Station is a 15 minute walk from the University. See below for information on travelling within Leicester.
Air: Leicester is close to several international airports:
- East Midlands Airport (EMA) by bus (Skylink Leicester-Derby),
- Birmingham Airport (BHX) by train (Birmingham International via Birmingham New Street) or national bus services, and
- London hub airports (Heathrow, Stansted, Gatwick, London Luton) by direct train and coach services.
Connecting coaches arrive at St Margaret’s Bus Station and trains at Leicester Railway Station. See below for information on travelling within Leicester.
On foot: You are rarely more than a 45 minute walk away from the University in Leicester.
- From St Margaret’s Bus Station (city centre) the University is a 30 minute walk through town.
- From the Railway Station the University is a 15 minute walk, uphill on London Road (A6) and along University Road.
Public transport: Leicester is well-served by buses which connect the coach/bus station, railway station and University.
- The number 48 and 48A buses leave the Haymarket bus station every 15 minutes and take about 10 minutes to reach the University – the return journey is on the number 47 or 47A.
- The number 80 bus service leaves Abbey Street (near St Margaret’s Bus Station) every 30 minutes and takes about 15 minutes to reach the University – the return journey is on the number 80A.
- The number 48, 48A and 80 bus services go via the Railway Station – the return journey from the University is on the number 47, 47A or 80 but not the 80A.
For the most up to date information, please consult: https://www.leicester.gov.uk/transport-and-streets/travelling-by-bus/
Taxi: there are several taxi operators in Leicester and taxis can be booked or hailed. There are taxi ranks at St Margaret’s Bus Station and the Railway Station.